ABOUT THE BULLETIN OF THE ATOMIC SCIENTISTS
The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is a media organization, posting free articles on its website and publishing a premium digital magazine. But we are much more. The Bulletin’s website, iconic Doomsday Clock, and regular events help advance actionable ideas at a time when technology is outpacing our ability to control it. The Bulletin focuses on three main areas: nuclear risk, climate change, and disruptive technologies. What connects these topics is a driving belief that because humans created them, we can control them. With smart, vigorous prose, multimedia presentations, and information graphics, the Bulletin puts issues and events into context and provides fact-based debates and assessments.
The Bulletin is an independent, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. We gather a diverse array of the most informed and influential voices tracking man-made threats and bring their innovative thinking to a global audience. We apply intellectual rigor to the conversation and do not shrink from alarming truths. For more than 75 years, the Bulletin has bridged the divides between scientific advancement, global security, and public engagement.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Audience Officer will formulate, lead, and execute the Bulletin’s digital marketing and audience development efforts including strategy, execution, and optimization of performance across all digital channels – SEO, SEM, email marketing, social and online activities. We are looking for a creative person who will develop and implement a comprehensive audience development and digital marketing plan to promote international awareness of the Bulletin’s first-rate content as well as increase engagement with our products, including the Bulletin’s website, social media channels, events, magazine, and store. The goal is to ensure that audiences looking for reliable and reputable answers to humanity’s greatest challenges find them on our multiple platforms and channels. This individual will develop the organization’s cross-channel communication strategies as well as manage the overall brand and audience engagement. They will also help create an accessible and engaging user experience.
- Create a digital marketing and social media strategy to expand the Bulletin’s reach and impact, consistent with the Bulletin’s mission and strategy.
- Integrate the Bulletin’s products into a funnel of engagement.
- Plan and execute web, social media, marketing database, email, SEO/SEM, and online advertising campaigns.
- Identify potential markets and develop strategies to reach and engage new audience prospects.
- Ensure tracking of social media and digital marketing effectiveness, including regular reporting of metrics and performance, and provide recommendations based on analysis.
- Identify trends and insights to help optimize advertising spend and performance.
- Apply change, risk and resource management principles when needed, and oversee the security and integrity of the Bulletin’s website and communications.
- Work closely with editorial, programs, and advancement to execute existing and new digital opportunities.
- Evaluate emerging technologies and provide thought leadership and perspective on adoption as appropriate.
- Field and direct all Bulletin press requests.
- Staff the Bulletin’s Marketing and Communication Committee.
- Develop new partnerships with individuals and organizations.
- Lead a team of three talented, digitally savvy, committed creatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in Digital Marketing, Product Development, Strategic Communications or similar fields expected. Experience in media a strong plus. Interest in international affairs, science and technology, a plus.
- Experience in identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform and motivate.
- Strong grasp of social media and website metrics. Experience with Salesforce, Google Analytics and other data analytic platforms is important.
- Strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to use data to inform decisions that drive maximum impact on marketing efforts. Eager to measure success of outreach efforts through audience and market research.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced excel skills (pivot tables, data filtering, sorting, and validation) a plus.
- Chicago residency a plus but not required.
All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter in an email with “Chief Audience Officer” in the subject line to [email protected]
The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, medical condition, disability, veteran status, union membership or activity or any other basis protected by law.