The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists' Pathogens Project will host a public meeting on Creating the Framework for Tomorrow’s Pathogen Research in Geneva, Switzerland on April 19 and 20, 2023.
This meeting is part of a yearlong taskforce that brings together specialists from around the world to develop better governance frameworks, strengthen existing guidelines and improve transparency in life sciences research. The taskforce and conference are chaired by:
- Dr. Ravindra Gupta, Professor of Clinical Microbiology at the Cambridge Institute for Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Diseases
- Dr. Ameenah Gurib-Fakim, sixth and first female president of the Republic of Mauritius
- Dr. Shahid Jameel, Sultan Qaboos bin Said Fellow and Principal Investigator, Project on ‘Public Health, Science and Technology in Muslim Societies’ at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies.
- Dr. David Relman, Thomas C. and Joan M. Merigan Professor in Medicine, Professor of Microbiology & Immunology at Stanford University
The project is directed by:
- Dr. Jesse Bloom, Professor at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center and Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Dr. Filippa Lentzos, Associate Professor in Science & International Security at Kings College London
This public-facing conference will include experts in fields such as biorisk management, epidemiology, virology and bacteriology, infectious disease, bioengineering, biotech, global governance and policy, social science, journalism, philanthropy, ethics, and law.
The conference will begin on April 19 at 12:00 p.m. with an opening luncheon followed by a half day of discussions, a cocktail reception, and dinner. The following day will be full of panels and breakout sessions, ending in a concluding reception. As a selected invitee there is no fee to participate in the conference. However, you will be required to cover the costs of your hotel and transportation. Booking details will be provided upon registration for attendees who would like to arrange their own stay at the Hotel President Wilson.
**Main sessions of the conference will be live-streamed, recorded, and shared with the public.**
This registration form is for in-person attendance only; live-stream links will be available closer to the event date.